Thursday, November 25, 2010

For week of Oct. 18- Beautiful storms

One of my favorite things to do to give myself the heeby jeebies is to look at pictures and watch videos of storm cells and tornadoes. I love storm photos. I think it is the comfort of knowing I will not be swept away but being allowed to watch nature's awesome, awful, destructive show in the sky. This photo above was entered into the National Geographic photo contest, in Montana. It looks unreal. I didn't know the sky could form itself into something this twisted and beautiful.
  I like the vertical motion of this photo. Often, skies look horizontal in pictures, with viewers forgetting that the sky continues above and behind and all around us. I like that we see so much of the sky, and that the clouds seem in motion, perfectly and abstractly sculpted.


I do not understand this photo, and there is little info in its caption: "Cosmic. Mother nature doing what she does best," by Patrick John O'Doherty. I have no idea what element or force of nature is going on, but it looks like heaven and is still quite clearly earth. Glorious. I love to be absorbed into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment