Tuesday, September 14, 2010

9/14/2010- Hockney!

I went to the swimming pool yesterday to attempt a Hockney-style photo for class, and I am incredibly frustrated, yet completely amazed at the skill required to take these composite pictures! It makes me enjoy the good composites once I come across them. This is actually one of Hockney's above. The quality of each individual picture is beautiful, with all colors and details standing out brilliantly. It is fascinating to behold the entire montage or the individual shots. His exposure is fairly uniform, too, which makes it easier to pass the eye over the composite and view it as a whole.
This looks like a composite I may be more capable of taking, although I still don't understand how to take 35 parallel pictures that aren't supposed to overlap! At any rate, I love this one because of the motion of the kite and children. It makes it look like a grand kite festival as a whole, until you realize they were simply running around with the photographer taking pictures of the different spots as they ran around. It's slightly curved and distorted from changing perspective, but not too much so. The exposures are less even in this one, but it's beautiful because most of the variation is in the blue sky, so you just end up getting to look at a pretty range of blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment